The Job Seekers Toolkits.
Most of us are already in our final year or 300L and already thinking of what’s next in life. NYSC, work, or further studies?
There is a saying that the actual exam isn’t on the exam day but the days leading to that day where you find yourself in the exam hall.
Preparation is key but of course this isn’t the first time you are hearing this. Most of us are just living this life one step at a time, figuring this thing called life out as we go through it so there really is no way to know what lies ahead.
We just want to pass this exam and leave school first, other things can come after that. While that is the truth for almost all of us including myself, it always helps to try to do things that put you one step ahead once in a while.
I would give you an example, when I was in my 300l, my close friends and I decided to start applying for internships. Interview after interview, test after test, regret mail after regret mail. It was almost as if we couldn’t pass anything.
But one thing we figured out later on was that it wasn’t that we were dumb. We just weren’t used to many of these things. We were so used to having a scheme of work for the semester and exam based on that. It was relatively predictable.
But going out there to my first interview, my heart almost came out of my chest. I was terrified. These 4 people were just staring straight into my soul while I spilled out nonsense from my mouth. To make matters worse, my tecno phone rang during the interview and wouldn’t just go off. That was when I knew that was already a lost cause. Anyways, we all got regret mail for that job but we moved on though we kept on applying.
Whenever we have tests, we could gather as if its fellowship and take them together. And that actually helped because I was really good in some areas while my friends where good in other parts. So when the test results came out, we were balling. But interview would come and we would still mess up. That was when we actually realise that many people were facing this issue.
Passing interview was a very big hurdle. We started with just going online. We were applying for Investment banking roles at that time but had zero clue about what the role really entailed.
Google and YouTube became our close friends. I still think that people still under utilise google. There is hardly anything you would google and not find some relevant information.
Self research ahead of anything is very important. Interviewers want someone that already knows stuffs or can easily learn and the only way to show that you can get this job done is to take that extra initiative to learn more about that job you’re applying for.
Fast forward to today. We got so good that we would say to ourselves, if these people just give me interview ehn “Won daran”, Permit my Yoruba. But the key question is still, how do I put myself in a position to be invited for that interview?
The first thing is what we’ve been talking about already, self preparation, knowing what you are applying for, master your own story.
The second thing is actually applying for the job. Most people wait for an application to open up before they start sending in CV but believe me for every job that gets posted online, remember the millions of Nigerians that are unemployed and would apply. Your chances are way below 1%. So what then is the way forward?, 2 things, maybe 3 actually, Cold emailing, Networking and LinkedIn.
I remember just sitting in my hostel and concocting people’s email from their names and sending them mail on how I think I can be a great addition. We all know that your network is your net worth. I know someone who has gotten 3 high profile jobs by just speaking to people; No application, no nothing. But if you cant network you can try reaching out to people in places you want to work. One of such ways would be to use LinkedIn. My first 2 jobs were through LinkedIn.
Ask people about their job. Some people are genuinely happy to help. Of course not everyone would reply you. But this is a numbers game. The more you try the more your chances.
Last thing is the CV. Think of your CV as your passport. Your identity. It is the first thing people see before they even see you.
There are tons of interesting materials on how to structure your CV and make it stand out. Like using key words, making it one page, etc.
Some people’s CV can scare you. 5 pages of random nonsense. Keep it short and simple. Straight to the point. The HR guy probably has hundreds of CV’s to look at . Make his life slightly easier.
The story and picture was adapted for the purpose of the article, 2020.
There is a saying that the actual exam isn’t on the exam day but the days leading to that day where you find yourself in the exam hall.
Preparation is key but of course this isn’t the first time you are hearing this. Most of us are just living this life one step at a time, figuring this thing called life out as we go through it so there really is no way to know what lies ahead.
We just want to pass this exam and leave school first, other things can come after that. While that is the truth for almost all of us including myself, it always helps to try to do things that put you one step ahead once in a while.
I would give you an example, when I was in my 300l, my close friends and I decided to start applying for internships. Interview after interview, test after test, regret mail after regret mail. It was almost as if we couldn’t pass anything.
But one thing we figured out later on was that it wasn’t that we were dumb. We just weren’t used to many of these things. We were so used to having a scheme of work for the semester and exam based on that. It was relatively predictable.
But going out there to my first interview, my heart almost came out of my chest. I was terrified. These 4 people were just staring straight into my soul while I spilled out nonsense from my mouth. To make matters worse, my tecno phone rang during the interview and wouldn’t just go off. That was when I knew that was already a lost cause. Anyways, we all got regret mail for that job but we moved on though we kept on applying.
Whenever we have tests, we could gather as if its fellowship and take them together. And that actually helped because I was really good in some areas while my friends where good in other parts. So when the test results came out, we were balling. But interview would come and we would still mess up. That was when we actually realise that many people were facing this issue.
Passing interview was a very big hurdle. We started with just going online. We were applying for Investment banking roles at that time but had zero clue about what the role really entailed.
Google and YouTube became our close friends. I still think that people still under utilise google. There is hardly anything you would google and not find some relevant information.
Self research ahead of anything is very important. Interviewers want someone that already knows stuffs or can easily learn and the only way to show that you can get this job done is to take that extra initiative to learn more about that job you’re applying for.
Fast forward to today. We got so good that we would say to ourselves, if these people just give me interview ehn “Won daran”, Permit my Yoruba. But the key question is still, how do I put myself in a position to be invited for that interview?
The first thing is what we’ve been talking about already, self preparation, knowing what you are applying for, master your own story.
The second thing is actually applying for the job. Most people wait for an application to open up before they start sending in CV but believe me for every job that gets posted online, remember the millions of Nigerians that are unemployed and would apply. Your chances are way below 1%. So what then is the way forward?, 2 things, maybe 3 actually, Cold emailing, Networking and LinkedIn.
I remember just sitting in my hostel and concocting people’s email from their names and sending them mail on how I think I can be a great addition. We all know that your network is your net worth. I know someone who has gotten 3 high profile jobs by just speaking to people; No application, no nothing. But if you cant network you can try reaching out to people in places you want to work. One of such ways would be to use LinkedIn. My first 2 jobs were through LinkedIn.
Ask people about their job. Some people are genuinely happy to help. Of course not everyone would reply you. But this is a numbers game. The more you try the more your chances.
Last thing is the CV. Think of your CV as your passport. Your identity. It is the first thing people see before they even see you.
There are tons of interesting materials on how to structure your CV and make it stand out. Like using key words, making it one page, etc.
Some people’s CV can scare you. 5 pages of random nonsense. Keep it short and simple. Straight to the point. The HR guy probably has hundreds of CV’s to look at . Make his life slightly easier.
The story and picture was adapted for the purpose of the article, 2020.

Comments
Post a Comment